The recipe for this week is for a cold winter day, but also for find comfort during the rainy summer afternoons. It comes to individual apple pies, something similar but much better than apple pies of Burger King.
To cook them, we need puff pastry; we can make it at home (at not traditional way) as I explained in the recipe, or we can buy it ready made at a bakery or supermarket.
For this recipe, nothing like using Granny Smith apples, as their flavor and firm texture make theme perfect for cooking.
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ butters bars of 90g each one
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup cold water
- 1 egg
- ½ cup icing sugar
- To make a quick puff pastry, cut the butter into small cubes and put in the freezer for half an hour.
- In food processor, place the flour and salt and pulse a second to combine. Add butter and pulse tree times.
- Add the half of cold water and pulse once again. Then add the remaining water and pulse a couple of times more. At this point the pastry should begin to form a ball.
- Empty the dough on a floured board and press with hands to join and form a cylinder.
- With a wooden roller, extend the dough into a rectangle starting from the center. Then fold into three parts and finally roll up starting from a side. This ensure the layers of puff pastry. Then press down with your hand.
- Finally, wrap in plastic and refrigerate a few hours before use.
- First, cut the apples into small cubes and put them in a saucepan over low heat, along with nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Stir, cover and cook until the apple is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Once the apple is tender, remove from heat and reserve to cool.
- Extend the puff pastry into a square of about 24x24 centimeters and with a knife divide vertically into 4 parts, forming rectangles of 8x24 centimeters.
- Lightly mark the middle of each rectangle with a knife, without cutting completely. Put the apple filling in one half of each rectangle.
- Fold the dough to form a package, covering the filling, and press the edges with a fork. Place on a baking sheet and using a pastry brush, varnish with beaten egg.
- With a knife, make small holes above of each apple pie in order to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 20 minutes until apple pies are golden brown.
- Before serving, sprinkle the apple pies with icing sugar.
The combination of spices like cinnamon with apple always is extraordinary, so these apple pies will be the favorite dessert of many of you, and not just for the filling, but by the crunchy texture of the pastry.
To accompany it, you definitely need to opt for a good hot coffee, and if you can serve warm, much better.
Esta entrada también está disponible en: Spanish