The carrot cake traces its history to the Middle Ages, a period in which sweeteners were scarce and therefore too expensive, so in those years was not uncommon carrots and beets were used for added sweetness to cakes and other desserts .
Currently, it is one of the most popular cakes and also the favorite of many, thanks not only to its sweetness, but also its thick, soft crumb that characterizes it. That is why we share with you our carrot cake with cream cheese frosting recipe to prepare at home.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 100 grams of shredded coconut
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- ½ cup almonds flakes
- 150 grams of softened cream cheese
- 40 grams of softened butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Cover the bottom of a round baking pan with waxed paper, then greased it lightly with butter and cover with a thin layer of flour.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC
- In a bowl, mixt he flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground cinnamon.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs until they begin to change color and double in volume. Then add sugar, vegetable oil, buttermilk and vanilla extract and beat until be well blended.
- Add the dry mix on parts to liquid mixture and beat on low speed until just incorporated.
- Then, add both shredded carrot and coconut, walnuts, raisins and almond flakes, mix with a spatula with enveloping movements.
- Pour the carrot cake batter into pan and bake for 40-50 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out dry. If it starts to brown before is completely cooked, cover with foil.
- Wait for the cake cool completely before spreading the cream cheese frosting.
- In a bowl, using a mixer, mix cream cheese and butter until blended . Then add the vanilla extract and powdered sugar, beat on low speed until smooth and creamy.
You will notice that this recipe uses much less sugar than other recipes (from 2-3 cups less), and that’s because to my consideration both the carrot and grated coconut bring a lot of sugars, giving excellent flavor without adding more calories.
Before concluding, a few recommendations. The first is to follow the instructions and mix the carrot with the mixed ingredients enveloping and not with the blender, since it will squeeze more juice from carrots, making our dough more liquid and running the risk of overflow when baking personal experience!
Second, if you want to make a layered carrot cake , it is necessary to double the amount of frosting, and we have two options: divide the mixture into two equal parts and bake in two separate baking pans, wait for it to cool completely (one night, even) before attempting to cut it.
By the way, walnuts, almonds and raising are optional, and you can also add pineapple chunks. To decorate, I used toasted almonds, but chopped nuts are excellent. If you have a little extra time, you can use a few drops of food coloring into cream cheese frosting to shape some carrots over the cake.
Esta entrada también está disponible en: Spanish
Si esta receta o información te ha sido de utilidad, por favor, considera hacernos una donación para ayudarnos a que el contenido de Cocina Muy Fácil continúe siendo gratuito y a que nuestro equipo pueda continuar creando contenido de gran calidad. ¡Muchas gracias!