When the winds of autumn begin and the first frosts appear and Christmas approaches, we crave for dishes with ingredients that provide heat to our bodies and festive aroma to home. For all of that nothing like cinnamon, one spice used tu prepare atoles, traditional fruit punch and various desserts, sush as this glazed cinnamon rolls.
I must warn you, this recipe is not quick to prepare, since it takes several steps including time for rising the dough, that has to be done twice, so you have to set aside about three hours of your time to do them (of course we can do other things during the 2 hours while the dough doubles it size). But certainly, all this time and effort is worth the result.
- 11 grams of dry yeast
- ¼ cup of warm water
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¾ cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ cup of butter, melted
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup of butter, room temperature
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon of butter, room temperature
- 1 cup of icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons of warm milk
- In a bowl pour warm water and dissolve in it 1 tablespoon of sugar and instant yeast. Let stand for yeast to activate for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix with a whisk the milk, egg, salt, vanilla, sugar and melted butter. Then add half of the flour, activated yeast and mis until blended. Then add the remaining flour, and knead with a wooden spoon or with hands until the dough is smooth and doesn't stick to hands. Grease a bowl and put the dough inside, cover with plastic wrap and let rest in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. To this, mix the two sugars with the cinnamon and set aside.
- When dough has doubled in size, place it on a floured surface and roll it out using a rolling pin into a rectangle about 32x20 centimeters. Spread the entire surface with butter and sprinkle over the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Then roll up starting with the long side, roll and to close slightly moist with water the other side. After that, cut with a knife into 16 parts of similar size.
- Grease a rectangular pan and place in the rolls, making sure to leave space between each. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for an hour for the dough rise up to double its size again.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Once they have doubled in size, using a pastry brush, spread melted butter. Put into the oven for 30 minutes until lightly browned.
- To prepare the glaze, in a bowl and using a whisk, mix the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Then add milk, tablespoon to tablespoon, until get the desired consistency. Immediately place it over the cinnamon rolls, which should already be cold.
To prepare the dough, I’ve done it by hand, but if you have at home a Kitchen Aid mixer with accessory to dough, it’s time to use it, it will make the process mush faster than doing it by hand.
I’m sure that when you encouraged to prepare at home this glazed cinnamon rolls, will be more than happy, because the cinnamon scent that envelope the home while baking is delicious. The flavor is a perfect balance between cinnamon and sweetness and the texture is amazing. The glaze gives that finishing touch that invites us to eat more than one cinnamon roll.
Esta entrada también está disponible en: Spanish