Red rice or mexican rice, is one of the basic recipes that in every Mexican kitchen should be known. It is a traditional recipe, full of flavor that accompanies most of our moles and other dishes. It serves as the perfect entry for both, a daily meal or a holiday, and may even be the basis for an unplanned lunch.
It is simply amazing. We see it served at the best parties and celebrations in our towns, accompanying Poblano or Oaxacan Mole, or other less named but equally delicious moles, but also we see it served in tacos, or become a complete lunch next to a banana and fried eggs. It is able to accompany the most exquisite and elaborate dishes of our cuisine, but it is also one of the most humble dishes we have.
But cooking Mexican red rice is also the art of the Mexican cook, who looking for a fluffy rice with separate grains, not burnet, not beaten, and with an excellent red color. Something that is not so simple, but that is mastered over time. Secrets are many, among which include putting rice in the sun for a whole morning, just use earthenware pots, soak the rice and many more. Everyone has a secret, and these are the secrets at home.
- 1 cup rice
- 3 red tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- ¼ of white onion
- 1 liter of water
- 1 potato
- 1 carrot
- 1 cup of green peas
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of powdered chicken broth
- Put to heat the water, when it starts to boil, empty half over the rice grains on a bowl, mix a little and let stand for 5 minutes. After this time, drain them using a colander and reserve for about 15 to 20 minutes, in order to drain as much water as possible.
- Menawhile, in a blender grind the red tomatoes, garlic, onion and half a cup of hot water. Pass the sause through a colander, and measure exactly 2 cups of sauce. If not reached, complete with more hot water.
- You also have to peel and cut potato and carrot into small cubes, and rinse the green peas.
- Once you have everything ready, heat a saucepan and add the oil, and brown the rice (washed and drained), trying to move frequently to prevent burning.
- When the rice is golden, carefully add the tomato sauce, a tablespoon of powdered chicken broth and vegetables. Lower the heat to minimum, cover the pan and let cook until the broth is consumed completely and some tiny holes appear on the surface.
- Once you turn off the heat, stir lightly with a fork to separate the grains and re-cover. Wait 10 minutes before serving.
I must say, the taste and texture of a Mexican red rice well done is exquisite. Some would like to do it with more oil, not add vegetables, or just some of them. How does it taste? I’ve said it before, tastes like México.
Esta entrada también está disponible en: Spanish